Belle Vue Speedway.

Belle Vue Speedway.

PostPosted by AB64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Very pleased to hear that Speedway will continue at the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester. I have very fond memories of the old Hyde Road track both as a spectator and working in the pits in days gone by. The Belle Vue Aces have such a long history in Manchester and long may it last.
AB64
Site Admin

Re: Belle Vue Speedway.

PostPosted by ChrisA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 am

I used to hang around Belle Vue in the late 60s early - mid 70s, sneaking in daily via the fences near the Granada Bowl. Wasn't really into Speedway to be honest, although it was massive in those days with some big stars riding for the Aces. From distant memory, was it Peter Craven and the Danish guy, 'Olsen'?
ChrisA

Re: Belle Vue Speedway.

PostPosted by AB64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Speedway was not for everyone but I was a fan from an early age when I was taken by my Aunt, Uncle and my Gran. Peter Craven was the golden boy at Belle Vue from the mid-fifties until his unfortunate death after a track accident in 1963. I remember my aunt taking me to the basement in Lewis's to see Peter Craven with his |World Championship trophy.
Ole Olsen came along later when I believe Speedway was at its best with the likes of Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins, Chris Morton and so on. I also saw the greats like Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs to name just a couple.
I am an armchair fan now and watch the Grand Prix series whenever I can although I have every intention of going to see Belle Vue at the new stadium, I might get hooked again.
AB64
Site Admin

Return to Off topic