The Bronte Family.

The Bronte Family.

PostPosted by AB64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Did anyone else watch the drama To Walk Invisible? I have been to Haworth Parsonage but I never really got the feel of the place as I, perhaps, should have done. I love to visit places of historical interest and I normally get a real feeling for the places and take numerous photos. Rievaulx Abbey was such a place and I was absolutely speechless when I saw it, an amazing sight.
Anyway, I watched the drama on television and I was hooked, so much so that I bought a book called The Brontes by Juliet Barker which I thoroughly enjoyed. Emily Bronte
soon became my favourite family member although there is not too much known about her really. I like her private yet rebellious character, combined with her stroppiness. Chloe Pirrie was excellent as Emily in the drama.
I have read a few more books about the family since and the fascination remains.
I will go to Haworth again as soon as possible and lose myself in the history of the place and it's characters of the past, as I should have been able to do the last time I was there, looking forward to that very much.
AB64
Site Admin

Re: The Bronte Family.

PostPosted by Philp » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu responding here, were some posts deleted Alan? Hopefully the minibus tour of Haworth you were arranging is still on! :)
Philp

PostPosted by AB64 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm

You will be surprised to learn, though probably not, that I managed to wipe out the first attempt at setting up this site :?
AB64
Site Admin

PostPosted by Philp » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Ahhh.... well this one is much better... :geek:
Philp

PostPosted by AB64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:08 am

Glad you think so Phil. We will have to have that brew some time in the tea shop in Haworth.
AB64
Site Admin

PostPosted by Philp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm

We certainly will. I might even treat you to a steam train if you promise not to stick your head out of the window.
Philp

PostPosted by AB64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 pm

I'll try to behave. Just about to watch Secrets Of The National Trust - Fountains Abbey, wonderful.
AB64
Site Admin

PostPosted by ChrisA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 am

I share same passions as you Alan, love heritage matters, local history etc. Also fascinated by the Bronte's, however, I just could not get into that drama at all, found it a little odd really. Far too wordy and assuming (that people already knew the full family history and political dilemmas) for my liking.
ChrisA

PostPosted by AB64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 pm

It definitely would have helped if the background of the Brontes was familiar to watchers. However, I did not know too much of the background and watching it made me want to know more and, several books later, now I do and I find the Bronte's story fascinating and tragic. I also got an early 70's dvd collection called The Brontes Of Haworth which is fairly good and covers the whole story, as much as a programme can, of the Brontes. It is typical early 70's tv but worth watching, I thought so at least.
AB64
Site Admin

Return to Off topic