Neil Dovestone

Neil Dovestone

PostPosted by ChrisA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 am

Anyone else see the story of the man on the moor? Very interesting and quite sad really. The DC suggested that she believed he wasn't intending to die out on the moor that night, I can't see how she can come to that equation when A) he was walking up a cold mountainside on a December evening, in totally unsuitable clothing) and B) He took a swig of strychnine on the way up! Doubttful anyone will ever solve the mystery of why he went to Dovestone to die, but I can't help thinking it may have some connection with the Pakistani colleague who seemed to have 'managed' his monies after Neil (David) returned to the UK. His brothers remorse was quite touching too.
ChrisA

Re: Neil Dovestone

PostPosted by AB64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 pm

I did watch that documentary, very strange that his life ended where it did. I am with you on the Pakistan connection and I wonder if the mystery will ever be solved. He also seemed to be laid out very calmly, can't think of a better word, as I thought Strychnine caused convulsion/spasms when taken in a strong enough dosage to kill. A very strange story indeed.
AB64
Site Admin

PostPosted by Amy-91 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 pm

I get the feeling there is still a lot we don't know about this man, but he was clearly lonely and unhappy. Strychnine is a very unusual, painful way to go and he didn't seem to know Saddleworth - perhaps it was impulsive.

For a few moments I was completely distracted when I realised this was documentary was narrated by Maxine Peake. I do realise she's a good actress and has done voiceover work for all kinds of things (PG Tips, Race for Life, etc), but I couldn't shake the thought that asking her to do this doc seemed oddly insensitive, considering.
Amy-91

PostPosted by ChrisA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Amy-91 wrote: narrated by Maxine Peake. I couldn't shake the thought that asking her to do this doc seemed oddly insensitive, considering.

Nah, you're over thinking that Amy. Maxine is a local girl, with a lovely native tongue and brogue. I never even thought about it until the end. :roll:
ChrisA

Return to Off topic